Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Monday, March 31, 2014

Week 10

Dearest Family,
So much has happened this week! We have had such a good week! With so many lessons and so many new people to teach!
So cool story number one.
We went on a TON of exchanges (members come with us) And let me tell you there are 100000000 miracles available when you go on exchanges. So we were teaching Michelle and my mind was wondering and I suddenly totally could see clearly that if we wanted two member present lessons (our goal for the day) then we had better go straight to see a lady named Nancy. Well let me tell you about Nancy. We have to try and get 10 OYMs a day (open your mouth) and she was one from last Sunday. We talk to a bagillion people who have all varieties of 'no' 'sure come back' etc. And most are forgotten. We are human, it's hard. But she came to mind. She said we could stop by when we were around. So after Michelles lesson I told Sister Sonderegger and so we had to ditch our plans and Sister Bagby and us all drove to Nancy's. She was so open and so receptive that I was in a dither! All over the place! (We've decided we need to practice what to do when people are receptive because we don't know what to do!) Anyway she came to church on sunday and it was just so amazing! I am so excited about her! (though can I say that I have never been so stressed at church! I sat there fretting about her back in the back sitting alone and that none of the members had sat with her! Ah!!!! But miracles happen with prayers and Sister Bowen took her under her wing almost as soon as sacrament meeting was over!)
Okay so with exchanges. We went on splits with the Young Women in the ward and it was awesome! They loved it and we loved it! I definitely recommend it! We got sisters from another ward to come help so that mostly we could go out with just one young women (and a leader if we needed a ride). But I went with Brie and Sister Priebee (who I love their family so much! When ever we share thoughts at dinner at their house I get so excited because I love them all so much I can't breathe.... whatever.... they remind me of our family I think!) Anyway we had an amazing lesson with them and Joanne and we talked about patriarchal blessings. Brie just got hers and it was so fun to hear from her.
We met another guy named Paul. But we have talked to EVERY member of his family on different days this last transfer. And now we talked to him. He is very open and we are going to meet with their whole family on Wednesday hopefully! He seems like he will hold through! (like Annelise said we deal with A LOT of cancelled and no show appointments)
But then Michelle our investigator gave us a referral. She is the best missionary ever! And now her friend Lily is meeting with the Elders in the neighboring ward and going to church and baptisms and all sorts of activities! It's so exciting!
Well we have been told a lot this week by our ward and stake leaders that the Oakhurst sisters are going to have a good week. Well! We sure did! And Boy do I love being known as an Oakhurst Sister!
Bishop told us that he had received distinct promptings about each of us (me and sister sonderegger) and that is why he visited our families. To let us know that God loves us and that they love us. I am so grateful to him!
We got to watch the women's meeting and it was SO amazing! We watched it at the church. And we will also be watching most likely all of general conference also at the church. I'm pretty sure we get to see all of it. When they said to look at your mothers and thank them both Sister Sonderegger and I started crying.... just kidding we were both bawling our eyes out the whole time so... we continued crying! MOM! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
Well before I forget!!!! It's time for another monthly surprise! this one is great! It's behind the sink mirror in the downstairs bathroom on the side closest to the shower at the bottom of the mirror. Have fun! I get so excited for these so I sure hope you do to! I have been talking about this all morning to Sister Sonderegger who is probably wishing I'd just go vacuum or something :)
So We played in church this sunday. We played a duet as far as parts go but we played with three violins. Two girls Arista and Adrianna Gage who are seniors this year. It was a lot of fun! I have never played with someone else and so it wasn't nearly as nerve racking! I love music! We are preparing for the music fireside (at which I will be doing a duet I believe with Sister Sonderegger on piano) on April 13. So that is still coming up. We love music! I am so excited!
We had a lot of service/yard work planned for last week but that didn't happen since we had quite a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot of rain. But I really love rain! And honestly... this is weird to say... but I love being out in the rain and just getting wet all day long! Ah! It's out! I love it though! It's so great!
Well things are going really great this week. I've decided that being a missionary is just a roller coaster. You can't avoid it. Good is always followed by bad, and bad is always followed by good. I just hope we can get the roller coaster moving to higher ground on average so the lows that I hit aren't quite so low!
I have also been thinking a lot about Women's rights. So many people are all mad that women don't have rights! And ironically we (the women missionaries) keep running into these men who say that women have no rights and especially in our church. I just keep wanting to (and sometimes have) say "Hello! We are women! We are in the church! Talk to us! We will tell you!" But whatever no one ever wants to 'hear' the missionaries. They love to 'talk to' the missionaries. And especially tell us what we believe. Anyway that's another topic all together! BUT the proclamation the family. Please take a look at that this week.
We were talking to a sister in the ward who asked some good questions.
What is most destructive to Satan? the family
Who is the heart of the family? the mom
So please. Let's watch how far we want to take these ideas of equality. There is no such thing as perfect equality in the sense of sameness. Equality is a balance of equal roles. We see so many families in and out of the church where the husband or boyfriend is pretty much doing nothing. And the women is working, taking care of the home, taking care of the kids, etc. When we look at our families and decide who is going to take care of what we need to make sure that the ROLES are balanced. Everyone needs to be needed. Taking away the roles of the husband or man of the house and giving it all to the women helps no one. We need to watch the heart of the home. Let's do this all together. Each of us looking at our families and making sure that we are all supporting each other and striving for an equal balance of responsibility in the family so that ALL can thrive and ALL can also find peace.
I love you! Happy birthday Grammie and also Markelle! thanks for all the letters this week I have really appreciated them! And they have contributed to helping me get out of that low and have a really good and inspired week!
I love you!
Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Beard

The park! Flooded!

Flooded park! Love the rain! (seriously though!)
haha and me and haley also did our hair the same that day! so funny! Just saw that!

My favorite park! Haha! the only park in my area! And it's my favorite spot in our area!

Me and Sister Sonderegger thoroughly excited about the quotes Aubrey sent us! (sorry our expressions may be a little stressed since selfies are hard!)

Me and my ward twin Haley Erickson. EVERYONE says we are twins so I finally got a pic yesterday. She's in 9th grade runs and sings and plays piano yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment