Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Monday, March 24, 2014

Week 9

Dearest Family,
 
Hello! How are you all doing?? Sounds like pretty good! Kelsey what were your track times? I am so glad Les Miserables was so good! So jealous! But not because I can't even imagine how good it was so I guess that's a blessing! So treasure that forever!
 
I CAN'T BELIEVE BISHOP DAVIS CAME BY! He seriously is the best! I didn't even know he was in Utah! And to think I was just thinking how awesome it would be if someone from here stopped by our house since everybody seems to be going to Utah these days! Was that a funny experience for you Aubrey?
 
Sounds like school is going good for you Aubrey. I am so glad! And I hope everyone went to your choir concert!
 
So this week... Oh man!
 
I'll start by saying that last week I gave a talk in church and I related faith to weight lifting. And well... uh... let's just say it's probably not a good idea for a scrawny little missionary girl to do that! I swear that will never get forgotten! People keep making jokes, someone related this weeks talk to weight lifting (then gave me awesome advice on how do weight lift without weights-after church), and there is a couple in the ward who whenever I pass by after church pretend to weight lift as I walk by. It's pretty funny! Man I never guessed that would be such a hit! Anyway....
 
So this week we hit a hard low. Sister Sonderegger and I have both been really struggling. And our numbers show it sadly. But on Thursday Sister Sonderegger called the Sister Training Leaders and asked if we could go on an exchange. So we went on a couple hour exchange. It was a really good experience. I stayed in Oakhurst with Sister Blanchard and she really helped encourage me and give me more confidence. It was also really good to be leading out in the area. Even though we spent 45 minutes trying to find a house! Ah well.. It was a really good experience. And on it I guess President Taylor called the STL's phone and said it might be good to take us on an exchange. The Lord is mindful of us!
 
A lot of people we run into are just... tired of religion. There's no other way to put it. It's hard to overcome that. Why wouldn't you be tired of religion in these days? And what am I going to say that is going to make my message more appealing than any 50000000 other religions. It's hard because some of the things like 'eternal family' people already believe in. The only way to help people see this is the truth is to have them experience it. Yet that's the hard part. That's not your choice. Though just like Moses- our faith has a say. (it was Moses and his faith who parted the Red Sea even when the people were being so dumb!).
 
This week we were walking down this road. And we started talking to this guy named Dakota. Then all of a sudden this truck pulls over and this guy yells out "hey do you have any material?" Ah! It was so stressful! I'd just run out of Book of Mormon's and all this stuff and so all of a sudden we are on splits by ourselves and it was just crazy and we didn't do either of the guys justice. So we just prayed the Lord would help. We will see! I sure hope!
 
One of the nights this week we went to the Burke's house for dinner. They had us and the Elders over. (this was the night of the exchange so I was with Sister Blanchard). There was a HUGE pan of lasagna, a HUGE bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, a HUGE bowl of salad and a GIANT plate of garlic bread. And it was all delicious! Lucky us! Half our ward seems to be chefs! But I was sitting there watching in horror as the new elder in our ward ate half the lasagna by himself. And this lasagna was like no other lasagna. There was over 5 pounds of 5 different types of cheeses etc. I can't believe he ate that much! I CAN'T believe it!
 
So the other day (sorry I am just writing random stuff I wrote down I wanted to say... no order). So the other day I called the mission office to call in a referral for the YSA Elders. And Elder Soper answers so I say "Hi Elder Soper this is Brother Beard and.... I mean...." So that was REALLY awkward!
 
We have an investigator who speaks Chinese! We'd tried to get a Book of Mormon for her I her native language. But it wasn't working. So we got this other one and so on and so forth. Any way I took it with us yesterday to our appointment just to give it a try and it was the right language!!!! And she is so excited and determined to read it so that she knows more of Jesus Christ! I am SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO excited! I don't know if I will get over this all week!
 
Last night we had an appointment fall through. And so we tracted out the apartments near by. But we ran into this sick cat. Like it was sick. So I petted it and the poor thing is so lonely and started following us around as we tracted! It made me laugh so hard. I know it probably shouldn't be funny. But it wouldn't leave us alone and at this one apartment a Russian family answered and the cat tried to run in! No this is not our cat. I don't know what's going on. Sorry. Here's a Russian pamphlet.
 
So we got THE MOST EXITING NEWS EEEEVVVVEEERRRR!!!!! President Taylor finally got a temple plan approved. Now three zones in the mission can go to the temple quarterly! And GUESS WHAT??????????????????????????????????????????????? I just happen to be in one of the three zones RIGHT NOW! God doesn't do random! This is SUCH a blessing! I can't even tell you! I can't EVEN TELL YOU! I miss the temple and love the temple so much!
 
When things get hard I have to try and think just like Jesus "Not my will but thine be done." He was faced with the hardest thing ever and he didn't give up! He submitted his will to Heavenly Father! When I think I can't go anymore I just have to look to Christ and try and think like he did. Try and love like he did. Try and find all my happiness from serving others. He is the PERFECT example! Holy Cow! I don't understand how but little by little I get it more and it is overwhelming! I am so grateful for everything he did! Living his life as an example for us and then giving the ultimate sacrifice of his life for us to be eternally happy. How undeserving we are. And how perfect he is! I know a lot of people have said these same words but how amazing they are when I can say them! And I am sure I will say them many more times through my life and each time they will have a little different feelings and convictions behind them!
 
Being a missionary is crazy. I am still the same person I was when I left. Still imperfect. Still awkward. Still can't always focus. But God uses me because of my calling. The spirit is brought into peoples homes simply because of my calling and my small effort to be spiritual. Wow!
 
Well this weekend I will be playing in church with two 18 year old twins. A duet (both of them on one part). I know that my redeemer lives. From Laurann and I's favorite green book (sorry I know that means nothing to anybody but Laurann!) Let's see.. oh I am staying here with Sister Sonderegger another transfer... We have several appointments. But we are going to get working on our tracting (there was a promise made by an apostle to this mission that if we talk to 10 people every day about the gospel that our baptisms will double. 10 doesn't sound too much but we have to walk and get to appointments and some of those 10 are like an hour and  a half and then sometimes there's just a day of door slams so we don't get any!) But ya we are going to work on that this week.
 
Our whole zone pretty much changed this transfer so that is crazy! But the ward before us went from three sets of elders to 1 set of elders and sisters so we now have 8 sets of sisters in our zone I think.
 
Well I will be done writing this massive email shortly. But thanks for all the letters! I am so grateful! Aubrey and Dad you sent the most inspired letters! Adrienne! It was so good to hear from you! And to everyone else! I love you all! Thanks for the letters I will try and respond today! And Annelise! I love your family history story! I can't believe he got back that far in that short of a time! And all your stories of service inspire us to try and serve more!
 
I love you all! Have a good week and enjoy the sunshine if it is there! (when the sun is out in Washington that is ALL people ever talk about! It's great! At least I fit in that way!)
 
Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Beard

Sis. Sonderegger, me, Elder Porter, Elder Lunt. Elder Lunt is now gone.

Spring seems to be lasting forever! Maybe it's because we get to be outside so much! I love it though!

Shaun, Jennifer, and Reagan! They are an awesome family and feed us so much! Jennifer makes the best food! 

No comments:

Post a Comment