Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Monday, August 18, 2014

Week 30: The end of the Major Beard epidemic:(

Dearest Family,

Well from the subject you might be able to guess what is happening! 

First to start off with last week at p-day Sister Major tried to teach me to crack a bull whip! I think I managed to do it once! President Thomas whipped himself second try and stopped there:) Sister Thomas was a pro. It was a super fun adventure. 

So on Tuesday we went to zone conference in Rainier. We sang in zone conference and it went well! President Taylor told us he had no idea I could sing... surprise!:) Well unfortunately that wasn't the last time that day President Taylor came to talk to the both of us during a break. The second time he came to us he told us that there was going to be an emergency transfer that was going to affect us. There are 3 new ASL sisters coming in on Wednesday and they will all be trained English first. Then the only current ASL sister is going to be trained English as well. And President said that Sister Major kept coming to his mind. So Sister Fifield will be going to St. Helens and I will be kicked out! Just kidding! I am being called to Portland Happy Valley 1st ward. I will be in a trio for the next two weeks with Sister Peterson and Sister Depew. We are sad. But we are mostly grateful. We were sure 2 transfers was all we would get together, but the Lord was merciful and let us stay for 2.5! And oh are we so grateful! 

I'm kind of liking the whole week in advance notice for this emergency transfer! I'm actually getting to say good-bye and realize everyone is going to live without me. 

Well this week has been a CRAZY busy week! We have just been on the go all the time! We've had to drop a couple appointments and all sorts of things! We've also had some interesting experiences this week. 

So this week I was leaving and also playing in church! So we told everyone that this was the last opportunity to hear me play in church. It ended up great! Yesterday Paulette came to church! She has been meeting with missionaries for 4 years. It's been 2 since she has been to church. She has really been struggling after church yesterday she said she loved it. She forgot how good church feels! She wants to go again next week! Also the Ceja's came to church! JoAnn and Alberto! When I saw them in the hall I almost dropped over! We have been trying to get them to church for AGES!  And here they come! With their new teeth and all:) Seriously I thought they were closer to coming to church after this weeks lessons but not that close! AWESOME!  Then we also saw Bob Webb! He's a late sleeper and so we didn't expect to see him either! Wow! Talk about an awesome last church day in St. Helens! 

Sacrament meeting talks ended early so they asked me to bare my testimony. After sacrament all these people were coming up and hugging me and many were crying! It was like my farewell all over again except I was worried about how I was suppose to escape and get JoAnn, Alberto, Paulette, and Bob to class! But this is the first time the ward has had sister missionaries in ages. And the first time they've had a sister missionary transfer in ages! And the sisters have become pretty attached to us. 

Anyway. We had a lesson with the Scotts. Kim doesn't believe anything we say it seems. It seems that we have to just listen to her arguments and then just be blunt and say how it is. Like 'No. Your catholic baptism won't do you any good. God works in order. There has to be authority.' Then she mulls it over (hopefully. right?) and we mull it over for the week and come back with more answers and more questions. I think it's going to take time. She just has to know exactly, and then over time as she realizes how God really works and all the things that are really a part of his message she will see. I do believe that she will. 

Diane Whipple is reading the Book of Mormon all the way through! We are super excited for her to feel the spirit of the Book of Mormon. 

We met with Silvia on Friday. I told her at the beginning I was being transferred but she didn't get it. So I had to tell her at the end as well. She was in a bad mood when we got there and so we took turns playing and singing a song for her on her guitar. Then she did one too. Then we had a great lesson! She told us when she decides something then she will go in with her whole heart. She doesn't believe it all yet. We told her we don't expect her to. We had a great talk and I know that she will continue to look for answers and someday she will find this is true. Because God's truth is ALWAYS found by those who are earnest seekers. 

We met with another lady named Vickey. We've been trying to talk with her for the whole time we've been here. But she has a really rude neighbor who always shoos us away. Well we got in with her this week and helped her set up herfamilysearch.org account. She wants to re go over the lessons with us. She told us she loves the spirit in the temple atrium. And oh! We want to help her get there! 

I told the Church's I am leaving on Saturday. They are sad and I am really sad too! They are people like Silvia. They want to know this is true and when they find it is true they will go with a full heart. It hurts my heart to see Lindsay who is LONGING to go to church and thirsty for a community with believers of God and not be able to go because Todd hasn't decided as well. They want this to be together. I know that they will find this. I have full confidence in them and in Silvia. I have never felt such a connection with people like I have with them! I know that God loves them and that He wants them to find the truth. 

All these people want Sister Major and I to go on bike rides with them! ....uh.... Silvia wants to take us on a 40 mile bike ride. (not in good enough shape! Holy cow!) and then Sister Reeders son-in-law and daughter want to take us on a bike ride that's probably similar length. They are awesome! They don't have a religious belief but love us for visiting their Mom and always want us to come over to have dinner and take us out to dinner and go on a bike ride (one of the bikes we have-the one I ride-is actually from them) Anyway Sister Major and I are planning a trip for a years time with our bikes and her truck and coming back to do all these bike rides! 

Yesterday we went to visit Sister Tanner in the ward. We don't know why they don't come to church anymore. But Sister Tanner plays the fiddle and WAY good! We had her play for us and then we each played a little for her. Then she taught us some impromptu technique. I think it's called caging. No idea how it is spelled. But ya it was awesome! She has a really good violin that has a really rich tone! I loved playing on it! 

Last night we had scheduled to see the Coons. Well turns out they texted half the ward and invited them over for 'ice cream and a lesson with the missionaries' So THATs why there are always so many people when we try and go over there! :) Well we had a great discussion on the temple. Sister Coon has been baptized for a little over a year. She struggles with some of the old traditional parts of the church. We are really trying to get a lot of these people to really read the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon talks about covenants like no other book does. Covenants were the plain and precious parts taken from the bible. It says that in 1 Nephi 12. It is SO important to just read from the Book of Mormon. It really does contain a fullness of the gospel. I love the work of the Lord. I've learned that we don't have to respond to every objection that people throw at us. The real answers to the deeper problems are answered in the Book of Mormon. I really do know the Book of Mormon is the most powerful took that God has given any of us. It has changed my life and I know in it we learn of the true workings of the Lord. 

This week has been a great week. We have a super busy schedule for the next week though I will only be here for half of it. I am really excited for this area. It is really taking flight! We are working with so many people! And do you want to know the most amazing thing? This area has changed MY life. I have learned so much! I can't even begin to describe! We've taught families. I've learned that this is about BECOMING not just changing. I've learned what it really means to believe. I've learned that faith can work miracles. I've learned what it means to have a strong heart and a firm mind. I've learned what how the Lord shapes me. I'm still learning how to be a voice sure and true but I am becoming much better. I have learned to be bold. I have learned the importance of covenants. I have learned SO much. 

Sometimes emergency transfers are hard for me. The one from Oakhurst to St. Helens took weeks to recover from. I felt that I was suppose to stay but someone else left so I had to. Well I don't think that anymore. I KNOW that the Lord knows what he is doing. Yes I can say that I know. Because I really do. He knew that I would love St. Helens. He knew what we could do here. He knew what we could do here together! He knew that I would love this place. He knew that I would change and that others would change too. I don't have any hard feelings for this transfer. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord! I know that the Lord knows what he is doing and I trust him full heartedly!  Wow! Crazy to see yourself change this much! I trust and love the Lord.

I love you so much family! I am glad that school is starting:) Then you can stay busy! :) I love you so much. You are an amazing family. Keep working hard. Hard work is the key to happiness. 

I love you! I'll be writing you next week from Portland 'keep it weird'. (joy right? that's their motto as a city)

Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Beard

Sister Major is an angel! I will miss her greatly! but you are right mom! Once a companion always a companion! 

P-day last week. Elder Burgess (orange Burgess) and Elder Peterson had a ton of instruments and President Thomas pulled all of his from everywhere! Also we were treated to 'if I were a rich man' duet by Elder Burgess and President Thomas! So great!

Us and the Seaside sisters! Sister Boatright (she's a rugby player! And we have pushup competitions sometimes:) and Sister Jarvis

The Churchs! (Madeline is 6. Vivian is crying. Todd and Lindsay)

The Scotts! Kim, Tim, Brittney, Samantha.

Mountain View! :)

Biking! Well... leaving to ride. 

Transfer letters! 

JoAnn and Alberto Ceja! We had to take a couple photos to actually get Alberto to smile with his new teeth!

Dale Gray! ... Probably haven't written much about him... sorry wops!

Driving. So exciting! (don't worry we were at a stop sign)

The Warde's! Someone donated clothes for them! And we finally got the right sizes and all of them at church! They look so nice! The ward loves them! 

Sister Naillon and Tiffany! (tiffany just got home from south dakota rapid city mission and is headed off to UVU)

Sister Hansen. (not sue hansen) She has gone on some exchanges with us. 

The Coons! 

The Cottrells. Sister Cottrell helped us do the 4th of July celebration!

The Smiths. 

Sister Johnston

No comments:

Post a Comment