Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Week 35: There's been a change in the wind says I :)

Dearest family,

Happy Birthday Laurann!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you have the best day ever!

So I have a really cool story from this week. On Monday we were ending
p-day and needed to grab dinner. So we went to the food carts on the
way home from the stake center (where our zone hangs out and plays
games, mostly scatterball, basketball and Frisbee) so we stop at the
food carts and there I am ordering tacos and this guy comes up to us
and asks if we are missionaries. We start talking with him and find
out he has just moved from California where he met the missionaries
(Sister Baxter and Sister Francis) He knew them for a week-a week that
you can tell is very dear to him. They gave him a Book of Mormon which
he has carried with him. I can't even adequately describe the look
about him as he talked about what the missionaries have taught him.
They taught him about he priesthood, about prophets and apostles, and
about baptism! It was an amazing experience. We got his information to
refer him to the missionaries in his area. He lives super close... but
in the other mission sadly. Ah well I guess we'll follow up in heaven
or on facebook.

I was laughing because there I was with my tacos the whole time.
Afterwards Sister Stone and Burraston got curry and I'd already eaten
my tacos when they prayed. So Sister Stone's prayer went like
this"please bless the food in Sister Beards stomach and please bless
the curry." Wow Sister Stone is pretty funny! She just says stuff like
that all the time!

We have a couple really awesome people we are teaching. One lady's
name is Linda. She is great! Last time we talked and got to
know each other and by the end she told us "I want to know more about
this restoration you keep talking about!" During this weeks lesson she
just kept asking how she can really know. She's really open and the
best! She reminds me a lot of Sister Mullenix from St. Helens.

We had a funny time teaching Dennis and Cindy Harris. Dennis is a
jokester. When he answered the door this week he told us he was going
to have to bail on us. Well we ended up talking for a long time on his
door step till Cindy tells him he my as well invite us in for a bit.
So that was great!

We helped a sweet lady Jeanie paint her garage on Saturday. We helped
her do a big yard project the other day and I'm not sure she will ever
forget that! It was with the other trio and we stopped by 8p.m. Friday
she told us about this project and the next morning we had a crew of
people plus random people from her neighborhood and off the streets
that wanted to help. None of us know who one guy Gilligan is. Anyway
we had a great lesson on Friday and then helped her on Saturday. On
Friday I'd had an interesting experience in her lesson. At one point
she was talking I felt so strongly that her mother was there and that
she had found the truth. It was the same feeling I felt at the Churchs
but it was more specific and just for a minute. Anyway it made me
super curious about her mom. So while we painted I asked Jeanie to
tell us about her childhood. She starts off by telling us that she had
a non-traditional childhood. Um. To say the least! She was on her own
at 14 and working. Then bought a house at 18. She was the first woman
to work in the sawmill and has CRAZY stories about that! Later she was
able to get her GED and then go to college and eventually got her
professional degree. Wow. Crazy story. But it was wonderful. I love
doing service for Jeanie and I love learning about her life. There's
no way we could learn all that about her just in lessons. Yay for her
being willing to let us help. Anyway I am really excited about Jeanie.

I've decided that as missionaries a lot of what we are doing is
finding 'the elect' or those that have been prepared for this message.
And I am learning that a lot of the times being prepared for this
message involves people from the other side of the veil. Heavenly
Father has really blessed me to be able to feel the presence of
angels. I have learned a lot about how missionary work really works
seeing how people we encounter have been prepared. It seems to be
either by angels or by friends. So we as the friends need to not slack
off:)

Oh I wanted to thank whichever of you has been praying that we will be
well fed! Here I will tell you about some miracles and gracious people
in this area. So on Sunday Sister Sanchez gave us 4 dinners. On Monday
at the food carts this guy gave us money for dinner. On Tuesday Ann
Warner took us out to Bajio and when the food was rung up the guy said
"you're good" and gave it to us free! That was AMAZING! Then on
Wednesday the Wells called us and gave us the best pumpkin pie I have
ever had! Plus muffins and pasta salad. Then after dinner the Collins
gave us 4 plates of cookies and a tub of ice cream. Later after a ward
potluck Sister Sanchez gave us a plate of lemons bars. Besides all
this we got fed nightly, had a ton of frozen food from other members,
and had bought a bunch of food for lunches. Pretty much I feel like I
was standing amazed at everything that was being provided for this
week. The Lord really is providing for us! We will not be going hungry
any time soon. Yep and another family just called feeding us every
Monday night for the next forever. It cuts p-day a little short but ah
well.

Wednesday was exchanges. We'd forgotten about them and the STLs called
us Tuesday night in the middle of a skype lesson and so we had to run
out of there and come back and run and pack. It was crazy! I stayed
here with Sister Ivins. She is great! We had a lot of fun! We were out
tracting at one point and Sister Ivins complimented a lady on her
BEAUTIFUL rose garden! So she went and got a vase and gave us a couple
roses! Oh man! I love roses! And I love people! And I love tracting!
You get to meet all sorts of people that way! I told Sister Ivins
tracting is like Christmas because you never know who will answer or
how they will react. Just like unwrapping presents! Except we get to
do it all year round! :)

Sister Stone has been sick this week so things have moved a little
slower than usual. But she's slowly getting better so that is good.

We found a lady who has been not coming to church for a long time. Her
9 year old daughter is so excited to get baptized so we are teaching
them. When we asked her when she wanted to get baptized she said on
Tuesday! She's so cute. We told her she has to wait longer. We need to
make sure she can come to church. But we are so excited that she is so
excited!

So a thought on energy drinks. We are working with a man named Jason
and he has overcome a couple addictions and is working on a couple
others. This last week he told us that of all his addictions energy
drinks is going to be the hardest. Energy drinks are definitely not
good for you!

This week has been really good. We are learning how to better work in
this trio. Trios definitely have their goods and bads despite who is
in them. And this one is definitely more challenging than the last.
But we are learning a lot. There's a whole new realm to learning in a
trio than in a companionship I can tell you that.

So we were tracting yesterday and we ran into a Spanish family! Yay!
So I start trying to speak my basic Spanish and the lady looked at me
and yep pretty much seemed to understand nothing. Ah well! I told the
Hermanas and it was pretty funny. I'll keep working:)

Yesterday we talked to this guy who pretty much was kind of open but
not super interested. He just loves God. Anyway after like 15 minutes
we are giving him a Book of Mormon and he says "Ya I'll take it. I've
got the Bible the Jehovahs Witnesses Bible" So I get this whim he
doesn't get it so I say "The Book of Mormon Isn't the Bible..." Then I
tell him as bluntly and plainly as I can in words and tone that it is
a record of people in America. I've never seen anyone light up like
that. He was literally intrigued. It was super cool!

We got to see the Beard family again! Can I just say I am stoked????
The sisters keep telling me to just treat everyone like the Beard
family and we'll get everyone to be new investigators. I am just so
stoked that I've found my family here! We are hopefully going to get
to actually teach them this Wednesday. I can't wait! I want to go over
every day!

I love being a missionary! I love missionary work! I just love it!
It's so great and so rewarding and there is SO much to always be
doing. And so much to always be learning. I won't ever be a perfect
missionary. So I think I'll just be a missionary forever till I can
get it right. :)

I love you all so much! I hope  that you have had a wonderful week. I
hope you are enjoying the autumn air and the joys of the new school
year!  The air changed this morning for sure! I woke up and my violin
was out of tune from the temperature change. We're headed to the rainy
season. Hope your autumn is lovely! Enjoy the mountains for me.

Oh and Dad guess what? Elder Price is in my zone! He got moved after a
transfer. Was in a trio for a week and now is training a visa waiter.
He must be a pretty stalwart missionary to be training before he is
trained! Anyway so there's that update.

Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Beard

Here's some good conference quotes.

"In order for us to make the correct decisions, courage is needed--the
courage to say no when we should, the courage to say yes when it is
appropriate, the courage to do the right thing because it is right."

"We can help ourselves in our desire to do what is right if we put
ourselves in places and participate in activities where our thoughts
are influenced for good and where the Spirit of The Lord will be
comfortable."

"Everyday courage has few witnesses. But yours is no less noble
because no drum beats for you and no crowds shout your name."

"Courage becomes a living and an attractive virtue when it is regarded
not only as a willingness to die manfully but also as the
determination to live decently."

"Catastrophic conflicts come and go, but the war waged for the souls
of men continues without abatement."

The Prophet of the Almighty God speaks His words to us. When we follow
we will be blessed. I know that following the Prophet keeps us in line
with the correct principles and order established in the heavens. The
great battle for the souls of men is waging on today. I will be found
fighting valiantly for The Lord on his side under the direction of his
mouthpiece and prophet who stands currently as President Thomas S.
Monson.


Mom we ate pumpkin pie on your birthday!

Exchanges! We got roses! they smell really good:)

Us with George and my tacos:)


Our greenie meal with Sister Pancio fittingly on Sister Burrastons year mark:)


No comments:

Post a Comment