Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 36: Happy in Happy Valley:)

Dearest Family,

So this week we have begun the great week of the mission of finding
the 'elect'. Sunday was a day of mighty prayer to find the 'elect' and
this week we have prayed and been looking for 400 new people to teach
as a mission. The mission is going to track each persons progress by
name. The 'elect' means those who are prepared for the gospel.

So on Monday night we prayed really hard to be guided to know where to
go. We ended up getting the feeling to go visit a guy we met a couple
weeks ago who we know is out of town. We went and found his son home.
We talked with him and are going to meet with him and his family
today! We kept praying and kept being guided to go to certain places
and we found people who hadn't been home in ages. it was awesome!

We went on exchanges again this Wednesday. This time Sister Burraston
and I stayed in Happy Valley with Sister Thorson. It's funny. I've
gone on exchanges 7 times and I have only left my area once and that
was the first exchange when I was still a deer in the headlights!

One of my favorite moments on exchanges was when we were visiting this
couple in the ward who come pretty regularly. We are working with them
to read their scriptures. As we were leaving she tells us we can come
by any time and we don't have to make an appointment. And some
inspiration hits me and I told her "We'll come by as soon as you read
up to 1 Nephi 8, So whenever that is, let us know and we'll come
over." Well you should have seen the expressions in that room. It was
pretty great!

We ate with Sister Simpson twice this week. Her daughter-in-law Tanis
comes and cooks for all of us when she invites us over. :) Tanis is an
AMAZING cook! Her Mom is from France and cooking is what she does!
Anyway we taught Tanis and her husband Daron the Restoration on
Friday. When we were sitting down to start the lesson I got this
feeling that this was going to be one of the most amazing lessons I
would see on my mission. It was really amazing. Sister Simpson was not
an active church attender or active in a faith in God till she was
much older. Her kids were not raised with that. Some traumatic event
changed her outlook. She is doing all that is in her power to remedy
this lack of religion for her children. She trusts so heavily in the
promises she has made with God in her covenants. Religion is her main
subject with her children and their families. Because she is trusting
so heavily in her covenants the Spirit of The Lord is able to really
abound in her home. It was really amazing. Today we have started a
challenge with them to read the Book of Mormon in 90 days! This is
going to be amazing and I am really excited! Please join in with me!
It's about 6 pages a day.

It's been such a good week to see people change! We've been visiting
an elderly gentleman Brother Coleman. There is notable change! He
first off is more excited to see us. He understands more of the
scriptures we read with him. I don't know! I can't really describe it
but it is amazing!

We've also been seeing a Sister Walker. This past week we asked her to
read 1 Nephi 5-8 and we came and she had read 1 Nephi 5-12! I just
about fell off my chair! She was full of questions and just so excited
about the Book of Mormon! I can't even tell you how amazing the Book
of Mormon is! I've seen it change more countenances and more lives
than I've ever seen be changed by anything else. And in such a short
amount of time too! No wonder Satan has circulated so many lies about
this amazing book. It is the most powerful book in the entire world.
It's what stops Satan from succeeding. Reading it, and reading it
daily. It's the tool for conversion and for lasting conversion.

One of my favorite people we are teaching is Jeanie! She is
the sweetest lady! She has a Buddhist and Catholic background. We had
a lesson this week and then the next day helped her paint again. The
lessons we have while we are serving her are way better than the sit
down ones! So I am glad she has many projects. She doesn't understand
the idea of God. Buddhism is very similar to our understanding of
things but without the understanding of God. She's trying so hard to
understand and I know she will with time and prayer and study. She
came to the women's meeting on Saturday with us! It was a lot on the
temples which was a little beyond what we've talked about but she
liked a lot of things she heard. I sure do love Jeanie! She is such a
sweet heart.

It's crazy to me how all these people trust me and look to me as a
leader! I'm a 19 year old girl and yet I've been entrusted by God with
teaching people about him and how to find exaltation! It's kind of
crazy! We were in a lesson with a man who is in his 40s and who is
trying to overcome pretty much every addiction you can think of. Well
he's looking to us for help. We're the ones who have been sent to tell
him about God and how to have a fulfilling life to prepare for the
eternities. This is an amazing calling-being able to represent Jesus
Christ. And at 19. Not only am I called but I am given the power and
authority from God to do this work. I am so grateful to be able to be
a part of this work. This is amazing.

Saturday night we were sitting out by the main building in our
apartment complex to plan for Sunday and then sinc (an iPad thing- we
sinc our area books together). Well we were planning and this guy
walks by "hi!" so we say "hi" back. Then he says "What are you doing?"
"What?" "What are you doing?" I'm a little confused but say "Oh we're
planning for tomorrow" "Oh do you work here?" "No. We're missionaries
actually." "OH really???" And he comes over and tells us he just moved
here from Hawaii and he is looking for a church. He's would love for
us to come and tell him more. So he walks away after we exchange info
and our jaws are all on the cement. I was told in the blessing I got
before this last transfer that we would see miracles before our very
eyes.... ya that was just it. That was most definitely a miracle
before our very eyes!

We got to go visit a family that lives close to us. The father is a
member of the church and the rest of the family is not religious. He
hasn't been to church in years. Well turns out he plays guitar. So
Sister Stone throws me under the bus and so half way through our visit
he cracks out his guitar and so I sing and play Amazing Grace (luckily
I've played it so many times even though its been a while I can still
remember it). He was pretty impressed even though it was really
simple. He played a little of something he usually plays. It was
awesome! Music is the best. It's been a while since I've been able to
use my music and it sure felt good! I'm not letting it go that long
again.

Well this weekend has been the first time that I have really felt like
I am suppose to be in Happy Valley. And also the first time that I
have really loved this area. I'm just a little slow with that sort of
thing. But I really do feel like I'm suppose to be here and you know I
really do love it here.

I sometimes worry that I am not living up to all I am suppose to be as
a missionary. I was promised a lot of things in my patriarchal blessing
for when I am a missionary and sometimes it's hard to see if I am
living up to that. But this week there were a couple times when I saw
that I really am being a voice sure and true. We were talking about
patriarchal blessings the other day and one of the Elders said he was
told that a patriarchal blessing is not what we will become but what we
may become. We have to do all in our power to follow God and to live
up to our potential which God gave us a sliver of a vision of in our
patriarchal blessings.

I love being in the work of The Lord.

In light of General Conference coming up this weekend I would like to
tell you a story. In Oakhurst there was a faithful sister in the ward
who was going to be unable to watch conference while it was being
broadcast. She asked her neighbor and dear friend to record it for
her. Well while he was recording it he ended up just sitting down and
watching it. Because of that he gained a witness that this is the
Prophet and Apostles of The Lord Jesus Christ. He joined the church.
General Conference is POWERFUL! I hope you won't pass up this
opportunity to share this conference with someone. Call someone to
come over for every session so that we can all be edified and grow
closer together! I always think of when Jesus came to the Nephites and
said he was coming again tomorrow and many people labored all night
long to spread the news and then to be there the next day when he
came. I feel like that's what all of us should be doing as the Prophet
of God is speaking to us THIS weekend!

On Sunday we taught a man named Sam from Samoa. We were talking about
receiving answers from the Holy Ghost and recognizing them. He told
several stories of people who have prayed to idols and then their
prayers are answered. He told us he thinks often it just comes from
our own minds. Then he tells a story of how he had a desire to come to
America when it is nearly impossible to get a visa from Samoa. But he
just walked in and got one and came over with only 400 dollars and
look where he is now! We talked with him about how sometimes there are
times when we are guided to do things that honestly don't make sense
and that really fit into a bigger picture that we can't see. We
definitely know that that is from God. There are things that we can
just do out of our own power, but there are many that we just cannot.
It reminded me of the story of Nephi in the Book of Mormon. Him and
his brothers were commanded to get the record of his people from
Laban. He was prompted to kill Laban when he found him drunk. He talks
about how he prays and tries to figure out if this thought is just of
him or if it is of God. He determines it is of God. The importance of
this record was greater than Nephi could have ever seen at that
moment. It preserved their language, it taught them of God, it had
their genealogy. So much! It was a part of God's bigger plan. It seems
hard for us to recognize when thoughts and feelings are from God. We
know that every good thing comes from God. Sometimes a potentially
good thing also takes a leap of faith to follow. Someday we will all
see and know that God lives, Jesus is the Christ, and Joseph Smith was
and is a prophet of God. As we come to recognize the spirit in our
lives and see how God has always been involved I know we will gain a
glimpse of how this is all part of a much greater plan. I love how
God's church also includes the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Which means the
companionship of the Holy Ghost when we are living worthy. Preach My
Gospel talks about how the Holy Ghost is "the power by which we teach
and learn." I love how this is a part of the restored church! I love
all that the priesthood provides!

I love being a missionary and serving here! It's great! I love working
with all those who are in this area!

Congrats to Kaleigh Kirkham! I would have never even guessed there!
That is so exciting!

I love you all so much! Have such a good week and such a good
conference weekend!

Sister Kaitlyn Beard

"Beyond comprehension, my brothers and sisters, is the love of God for
us. Because of this love, He sent His Son, who loved us enough to give
His life for us, that we might have eternal life. As we come to
understand this incomparable gift, our hearts will be filled with love
for our Eternal Father, for our Savior, and for all mankind."
President Thomas S. Monson


Jeanie came to the Womens conference with us!




No comments:

Post a Comment