Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 38: Moving from the Taj Mahal...

Dearest Family,

We just had news that we have to move! We live in the Taj Mahal...(is that how you spell it?)! The nicest apartment complex in the mission. We live there with Hermana Porter and Stidham. Well... They are kicking all of us out! We are really sad! We are going back to the old apartment on the corner of the mission (quite a ways from the majority of the people we are teaching) and the Hermanas are going to live in Gresham. :( The ASL sisters are moving in. I guess there is going to be 6 of them so they probably need our place... ah well. And Sister Burraston is getting transferred to Hazeldell in Vancouver. So we are back down to two. Anyway lots of changes in the zone!

We have had a great week here in Oregon! Tuesday morning we got to drive to Vancouver to watch Meet the Mormons. I hope you have all got to see it because it was AWESOME! We were laughing and crying! Ah it was just amazing. I think the missionary mom story hit the missionary crowd the hardest as each of us had those scenes of our own running through our heads. (can I also say the view of Salt Lake made me think "wow.... we really do live in a desert back there!). I loved all those stories. I love what the church is doing to help further the work. They are making so many opportunities available to us to use to share with our friends. We just need to take them. 

We have been super excited about a guy named Sam and his family that we are teaching! He is super busy and works all the time but has been adjusting his schedule so that he can meet with us! He really is searching to find the truth and it is amazing to see.

We had kind of a cool experience this week. So on Saturday we wanted to give Sam a church tour so we had it set up for 6 that night. Well that morning we were helping a less active sister clean up her pool and I just got this prompting to have her come with us on the tour. So We asked her and she said ya. So that night we met at the church and when we were driving and almost there Sam texts us and cancels. But we went anyway and met this sweet sister at the church. We had a great lesson with her and because of it she said she got the message and is coming to church! Obviously God doesn't do random! Only he would have known that Sam would have canceled and that experience would get this sweet sister to church. 

We met a guy this week who use to be a pastor. Then he apostatized from his faith. I don't know how else to describe it. I can't imagine what he did to his poor congregation by falling away. He doesn't believe in Christ anymore. That was the most heart breaking conversation. We don't have all the answers. But God has given us a lot of answers and look at how many people can't even handle those. It is so sad. It's like the scripture in 2 Nephi 28:30 "30 For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have." (http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/28?lang=eng). We have to be so careful we don't become foolish and think we have enough because it truly does happen like that! No joke! So many people become like this man and lose everything that they once understood.

We went to teach Maggie this week. We knew that last time we saw her she had talked like she would drop us this week. I was really sad about that. This week I brought my violin. Well I decided to play Meditations from Thais for her. She didn't know the title but as soon as I started playing I heard her say "oh!". It was kind of amazing. At one point I kind of just forgot the song (I forget if I don't get to practice and I didn't get to practice last monday) well I played it anyway. The angels really helped! Anyway. Nothing can explain my astonishment as I finished and look up to find Maggie in shaking sobs. When she was finally able to get in control of her emotions she told me that that was her Father's favorite song. We taught her about the Plan of Salvation and she was the most open and receptive I have EVER seen her. And although we left with the assurance that 'these meetings can't go on forever' we know that she felt the spirit. That was probably one of the most amazing musical experiences I have had. 

So Jason is doing awesome! We've been meeting with him a lot and this week he has decided that today is the day he stops smoking! He's fasted and prayed for strength! We are really excited. He's been coming to church solidly for several weeks now. (Gave us a pinky promise and then came... so we discovered he doesn't brake those. So now we do those a little more:) Anyway we are really excited. I am relieved he is pretty open about things he is thinking about doing so we can suggest him to not do things that are braking the commandments and going to make his life a lot harder again. He is really getting so excited about the church again! It's awesome! We called him on his birthday and he was having a bad day and so we asked him what his favorite dessert is and he said "church!" Hmmm.... That is a little weird but at least he likes church!

We got to go and make dinner for Sister Grismore. She is on chemo right now and so we got to go cook her dinner. She does really good on treatment.

We are teaching this lady named Tonya. She is really quiet but on fire! We asked her to read and we came back and she read 1 Nephi 1-6 and Moroni 1-9. She was going to come to church but the member who was suppose to get her got lost and so we will have to work on that this week. But we are really excited! 

On Friday we were planning at night in the apartment and the Hermanas were too. With ipads we have what is called airdrop where you can drop photos, documents etc to anyone in the region. Well I all of a sudden start getting a ton of airdrops from Hermana Porter of ugly cats. Oh it was a great night! We will miss the Hermanas!

We saw Bro. Beard over yonder this week and he was talking about some home repair project and I just had to say "spoken like a true Beard" oh I love finding family!

I love you all so much! You are the greatest family. I love you and miss you so much! I hope that you have a great week! I pray for you every day! 
Wow I can't believe Taylor is home already! Sounds like she gave a great homecoming talk! Well I love you!

OOH and Sister Stone and I are going to start doing personal progress this week! She never completed hers so we are SUPER stoked! 

Love you all!

Love, Sister Kaitlyn Beard

Sister Arlint







No comments:

Post a Comment