Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Monday, October 20, 2014

Week 39: Oooooh are we Personal Progressing!!!

Dearest Family,

This week has been crazy and long! Yet it flew by at the same time! I guess that is like always but anyway...

Wednesday was a pretty crazy and exhausting day. We loaded up and took Sister Burraston to the transfer site. We came back and loaded up our stuff, food, and dishes then cleaned the apartment then drove off. Ya... I don't know why I am giving you all these details... pretty much we were cleaning and packing and unpacking for a huge portion of the day. And then later we were helping a member in the ward clean and pack. It was like packing Wednesday!

I got to skype Michelle this week! It's been forever since I have talked with her and I've been worried about her. I feel really bad because we got doubled out right after her baptism and since then she has kind of dropped off and now she doesn't want anyone coming over. Hopefully being able to skype her will help her open back up to the ward and start going to church again. 

I got word that Sister Major and Sister Fifeild left St. Helens! Ah that makes me so sad! I guess the Major Beard in St. Helens is really ended for real now. 

Sister Stone and I have been talking and both of us know that we want to become baptizing missionaries. We really feel it is what the Lord wants us to become in this area because we got the same inspiration at the same time. I guess it's time for us and Happy Valley to baptized! So we are working harder than ever.

We met a lot of cool people this week. We met a guy named Mal who told us that a while ago he had an amazing experience. He died and got to meet Jesus who told him he was going to give him a glimpse of his love and he was going to heal him. And he told Mal to tell everyone about him. Mal was miraculously healed and is a powerful witness of Jesus Christ. 

We met a guy named Larry who was excited to hear we were missionaries- he having been a missionary for 14 days in the Philippines. When he said that I was reminded of how blessed I am to get to do this for 18 months! 

One day we were having a picnic at the park for lunch and a lady we are friends with from our old apartment complex came by walking her dogs and she ended up sitting down by us and we started teaching her. She is super open and loves researching religion. She has a lot of questions. As well as a lot of weird ideas, some of them throw us off. Like she was telling us that Jesus commanded the Tower of Babel to be build then it fell and then the continents split. Anyway it was an interesting conversation. 

We had a great dinner this week with our ward mission leader Brother Child and his family. Brother Child started talking about his mission. He went to southern Chile to what he calls as the Frozen Chosen. Pretty much a group of missionaries in his mission served down there. It was literally survival! They often slept outside, had to kill their own food, wore traditional southern Chile clothes not suits. He said they moved from one city to the next establishing a branch and then moving on. He said that there were some transfers where the mail would get lost and someone would not know they were suppose to move so he said once he was a month without a companion. Just crazy things like that! He has amazing stories. He said when he came home in blue jeans, sombrero and his sweater thingy and a growing beard his parents and family just about had a heart attack! I'm sure they had no idea what he was actually doing down there in the isolated wilderness!

We were really blessed this week. Jeanie has been staying at someones house because she lives alone and is sick right now. Well we decided to drive by her house and she just happened to be home. The first time she has been home in 2 weeks! How amazing is the Lord!

We are really excited about Tonya and her three boys! They weren't at their lesson on Friday so we went back again yesterday and we read from the scripture reader (picture book version) with the boys and we talked about baptism. And we taught them all how to pray. We were sitting on the porch for this lesson and at the end we all knelt and little Mic who is 7 said the prayer with help from Tonya and he prayed to know if he should get baptized. It was one of the most precious lessons I have had thus far! We hadn't planned anything and yet we were just guided and were able to teach all of them and the spirit was really there. It was amazing.

We are also excited about Sam! We found out that his wife had her baby 2 months early so that is why he didn't come to anything last week. (no wonder!) But he is still doing well and learning and open to our message. We are really excited about their family.

We are teaching a lot of people and staying really busy! It is really awesome!

Sister Stone and I started Personal Progress this week. Can I just say I love Personal Progress? Ya I've done it before but I never really got it before. Already we feel like it is changing everything for us. It is making our study more effective, it is making us more unified, we have a greater desire to teach everyone we talk to, we have found it easier to be exactly obedient, and we have seen a ton more miracles. THIS IS AMAZING! It was definitely an inspired idea to do Personal Progress right now! Who knew all this would come from it besides God? We are both way more excited to work and I can't even begin to say all the miracles we have seen just because of it! It is literally giving us just a little more strength and so everyday we can do just a little more and so we see just a couple more miracles! Amazing!!! I am so excited!!!!!
I should say that Sister Stone and I are getting along great. We are laughing a great deal these days and things are going really well! So ya. 

In my study of the Book of Mormon this week I have been reading a lot of the Isaiah chapters in 2 Nephi. It's amazing to me how much he talks about the covenants of the Lord and how the Lord really has great things in store for the righteous! He has his plan laid out. He knows what is going to happen. We have to keep our covenants with God so that we can be a part of his covenant people. I love the scriptures!

Also I was studying Faith in Preach My Gospel in the chapter 6: How do I develop Christlike Attributes. I love how it says "God works by power, but His power is usually exercised in response to faith" (http://www.lds.org/manual/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/how-do-i-develop-christlike-attributes?lang=eng). I love that. I read a story of a lady whose son was gravely injured but continued in faith and was guided to know what to do and her son was miraculously healed. God works his power in response to our faith. That's why he says that if miracles have stopped it is because people are not righteous. I love learning about faith!
The rains are setting in here in Oregon! But it still stays Happy in Happy Valley:) I love serving a mission! I am so blessed to be able to serve! I am constantly grateful and amazed with the things that the Lord has blessed me with. He has given me so much! I have met wonderful people and I really have changed. Maybe not appearance wise-but inside I really have changed. This gospel and the purpose of life has become so much more clear to me. My view of the world and of religion and people and a hundred other things has changed completely. I've learned so much from talking with so many people and being able to share my beliefs and learning to become a Christlike missionary. Of all the things I have learned the thing that is most important and clear to me is that I know that God lives and that Jesus is the Christ and that Joseph Smith was and is his prophet. I really do know because of the things I have seen and the people I have met that this gospel is the ONLY way back to God. You can't expect to get there in some 'easy' way. This IS important.
I love you family so much! I hope that you have had a wonderful weekend at the cabin! Love the cabin! I feel like it's kind of like the cabin here with the wind and the smell of the trees! Love it! I love you so much!
Oh and just so you know some of you have mentioned sending letters. I haven't gotten any letters in a while so I think the mail is kind of mixed up with transfers and us moving and everything. Sorry! I will let you know when I get mail again. 

Love Sister Kaitlyn Beard

"To those who believe anything or everything could be true, the declaration of objective, fixed, and universal truth feels like coercion--“I shouldn’t be forced to believe something is true that I don’t like.” But that does not change reality. Resenting the law of gravity won’t keep a person from falling if he steps off a cliff. The same is true for eternal law and justice. Freedom comes not from resisting it but from applying it. That is fundamental to God’s own power. If it were not for the reality of fixed and immutable truths, the gift of agency would be meaningless since we would never be able to foresee and intend the consequences of our actions."
Free Forever, to Act for Themselves

A long time ago when we signed the legacy poster in St. Helens!

A long time ago when Evelyn Herendeen went through the temple

Wow last transfer

Our pepper spray:)

The view from the old apartment

an emergency exchange with these sisters! Sister Ivins and Thorson.

No comments:

Post a Comment