Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Monday, November 24, 2014

Week 44: Leaving Portland!

Dearest Family,
Happy Birthday Aubrey and Kelsey! I hope that you both had a very wonderful  birthday. I have been thinking about you and singing happy birthday to you all weekend!
 
Well we got transfer letters this week. I can't believe it is already transfers! Anyway I am leaving. I am going to the Nehalem ward in the Vancouver North stake. So back to the Washington side! I've spent 7 months in Oregon! I guess it is about time to return. My new companion will be Sister LeDoux. Sister Stone is staying in Happy Valley and getting Sister Maughan who is awesome. I am excited for all the miracles they are going to continue seeing because there sure have been more miracles in Happy Valley than I have ever experienced elsewhere. I've heard some rumors about transfers that are making me excited! For one thing they say it is probably a walking area! AND best of all! Guess who just got newly called to be an STL in my new zone????? SISTER MAJOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited I can't even say! It sounds too good to be true so I am waiting for the catch. But it should be good entering a new area right before Thanksgiving! At least we aren't doubling in (which I thought we were until last night)
 
Tonya is totally on track for baptism! So this upcoming Saturday is beginning to fall into place! The ward is really excited! We have only had one other baptism this year in this ward and now we have two families and quite a few others coming to church and on track for baptism. It's seriously miraculous how much this area has changed in this last transfer. It's been a miraculous change there's no other way to explain or describe it. 
Tonya came with us to a baptism this weekend. She is ready and excited for her baptism! The ward is SO excited! They announced it in every meeting on Sunday and even passed around a sign up sheet for dessert for after the baptism. Brother Child is taking care of everything including filling up the font. This baptism is going to be WAY easier than the one in St. Helens where we had to work so hard that week to actually make it happen and to just find someone in the Priesthood who could come and preside! It messed up everything else we did that week. Where as here we don't have to do anything really. It's wonderful!
 
Tonya also told us that her parents (who are in Texas for the month) called her and asked her all these questions about church. When she asked them why they said they were going to go yesterday. And apparently they did! Ah! Wow! Miracles from them coming to Great to Be 8 with us! This is seriously SO exciting! And all the boys are on date for baptism on February 7 so it will be amazing to see how this family comes into the gospel! It's already been so amazing!
 
Tonya told us that usually she would shut the door in the missionaries faces. But on the night the sisters came by it was really late at night like 8:45. They knocked and she was asleep on the couch so she rolls off and answers the door half asleep and is thrown off by one of the sisters HUGE smile! (Which we think must have been Sister Duff). Wow! The Lord does miracles to be sure! They had to have been guided by the Lord or why else would they be tracting in a sketchy trailer park at 8:45 at night in January? I love it!
We visit a very sweet lady named Dolores. She just loves the missionaries! She really does have such a big heart and serves a lot. Anyway she told me to tell you Mom and Dad that you have done a really good job (with me):) So thanks Mom and Dad! That's not the first time people have said great things about you either! People say all the time that you should be proud. And I just smile and think 'ya I have the best parents ever!' So pretty much I love you a lot! 
 
We had a really good lesson with Sam this week and his kids. The kids just soak everything in. Sister Gage and Zach (who is 10) came with us. It added an interesting element to the lesson because the kids brought up some weird things but ah well! The kids love church and love reading! The Gages were wonderful and were willing to give them their Book of Mormon reader so Sams kids can have scriptures to read. They've pretty much memorized their Bible stories book so it will be fun to see how they like the Book of Mormon stories. 
 
Jeanie is doing pretty good. She's really sick and may or may not have surgery this week. We caught her again for a visit this week. It's still really hard for her to understand God though we are realizing she doesn't fully understand Jesus Christ either. She is very sincere and has many questions and is so open to learning. I really love Jeanie! 
 
We gave Amber a church tour this week and it was really powerful. The spirit was super strong in the chapel. Actually the spirit is always strong in the chapel. So it is a perfect place to end a church tour. 
We are starting to teach a sweet sister named Kathy. She has family who are members of the church. She's had quite a tragic background and so about a year ago she just wanted to go home. Well her parents have already passed on so she had no home to go to. Her sister-in-law directed her to church. She went to many churches- she describes going to one of the most popular churches in the area and watching them put on the same 'show' all three service times available. She said that wasn't home for her. Finally she came to church in the Happy Valley ward and she says it really feels like home. I really just love that. Church really is my home on a mission! It was kind of funny the next day Sister Stone and I were eating lunch at the church and then I fell asleep sitting there and dreamt that I was at home all the church noises and feels just felt and sounded like home and I woke up thinking 'wow Kathy has a point! The church really is like home!' 
This week was rough at parts and so on Thursday Sister Stone and I got blessings. It was probably the most amazing blessing I have ever received. It talked about my potential and worth. At the end of the blessing it was said that this blessing was a gift to me to remind me of my divine worth. I truly felt such love and every time I think about it I feel such amazing love.
 
Well we have had a wonderful week and it is amazing to see all the miracles that we have seen. Surprisingly, even amidst all these miracles, I feel ready to leave. I can't even tell you how nice it is to not be getting emergency transferred. I actually feel like I am called to go somewhere else instead of being taken out and thrown into another area. I already feel so much better about this transfer I can't even tell you.
 
I will miss the rolling hills of Portland as I move to the flat lands of Vancouver but hey it will be great! I am so glad to be in a walking area for the winter! Can't wait.
 
Well I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and a wonderful day picking up Laurann! I really love you all so much! I can't believe it is that time already. I am so grateful for the wonderful family I have. I am so blessed. And I am so blessed to be so supported by you. I love you all so much! Have a wonderful and safe week.
 
Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Beard
I love the promise that Preach My Gospel gives about following the prophet. "Those who listen to and follow the counsel of living prophets and apostles will not go astray. The teachings of living prophets provide an anchor of eternal truth in a world of shifting values and help us avoid misery and sorrow. The confusion and strife of the world will not overwhelm us, and we can enjoy the assurance of being in harmony with God’s will." (Lesson 4: The Commandments http://www.lds.org/manual/preach-my-gospel-a-guide-to-missionary-service/what-do-i-study-and-teach/lesson-4-the-commandments?lang=eng) The world is surely a place of shifting values and the prophet truly does give us the anchor of eternal truth. 





hiding in our closet:)

Lost with the Elders coming home last week

Weekly planning by the Christmas tree at the church!

random driving photo:)

Tracting!

No comments:

Post a Comment