Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Week 61

Dearest Family,

I hope you have had a good week! We've had a fantastic one! We got to go to the Ape caves again today! LOVE that hike! It was super wet today! We went as a zone and ended up losing the zone so much for zone activities! But we had a party with Brother Privett and the Maple Grove sisters! (Sister Campbell and Chance)

This week has been good. We've had some good adventures so I will update you on the best ones. 

So every time we share the first vision in Joseph Smiths own words "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head above the brightness of the sun which descended gradually until it fell upon me. When the light rested upon me I saw two personages whose brightness and glory defy all description standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me calling me by name and said pointing to the other 'this is my Beloved Son hear him.'" (sorry incorrect punctuation but I don't have that memorized!) anyway anytime we relate it and/or watch the Restoration video with someone this particular part gets interrupted...EVERY time. So we were at this lesson this week and we were doing what I like to call lesson 1.5 where you teach the Restoration again and watch the video this time. Well we come up to the first vision and we had the most epic interruption of my life! We were at the 'sketchy' apartment complex of the area and a fight broke out and the sister that we were teaching- her boyfriend runs up and tells her to call the police. Anyway I'll spare you the details but the cops showed up and Brother Swanson just kind of shuffled us out of there and we never did finish that lesson. That was the best one I've seen yet!

So Jimmy was the brother I wrote you about last week. I'll just write his story again short version. We were out one day (I'd decided to play my violin for some of the sisters we were teaching and we decided to go by another sisters house anyway we were in the right place at the right time to see Jimmy struggling to carry his groceries so we threw them on our bikes and walked them and him to his house. Well we've been meeting with him quite a lot lately. He is amazing! He reads the Book of Mormon and understands it (A skill getting lost in the newer generations) He wants to change his life. He wants to learn. He feels like God preserved him from really great depression for this- the message of the Restoration. Brother Kent and Brother Fletcher have been coming to all the lessons and giving him rides and making all of this possible. It's fun to see them likewise super excited about this whole experience. Right now we are planning on his baptism on April 18 if all goes well. We are really excited for him and he is so ready to change his life. There is already a visible change. People ask for tangible evidence of our message. Well what about the actual visible light that comes into peoples eyes and countenances when they learn about this message and begin to live accordingly and come to understand their true nature as sons and daughters of God? That's what I call tangible evidence that can't be destroyed by any worldly means. God gives evidence that is eternal and cannot be denied. Plenty of people deny what their eyes see but you can't deny the witness of the spirit and keep the light that God provides to those who learn and live his ways. 

We had another lesson with a sister who came to the relief society activity a while ago. She wanted to learn more about our message to help a struggling friend. But when we showed up she had make a super fancy tea party for us! (Don't worry she knows our standards of no coffee or tea and had provided hot chocolate). It was so cute! I will attach a picture.

We got to attend Mutual (youth group) with the Beehives this week! It was super fun we got to do a little training on scripture study. And it made me realize how the scripture app/gospel library app has changed my life with scripture study. I have learned how to study way more effectively with the online scriptures! They've made a world of difference for me! 

We went to the ward dessert auction thing fundraising for girls camp. They had all the girls make a cake and then some dollar items. Then we had a potluck soup and salad. It was super fun! At one point we were walking across the room having just been offered by a family that they'd buy us a dollar item if we wanted so we were going to pick one out and the brother who was announcing things announces "The sister missionaries just crossed the room and they look hungry! Let's help the sisters have some dessert!" and on and on but we were instantly crowded by a bunch of kids as messengers from their parents pushing dollar bills towards us but we turned them all away having already received sufficient! But it was pretty funny!

Yesterday was some pretty hard rain! And a thunder, lightning, and hail storm came when we were at dinner and the family we were with wouldn't let us leave till it passed by! (not like were in too much of a hurry to get struck by lightning and soaking wet:)

I am just loving this area. I have moved around a lot and now this is the longest I have been in an area. I love the people here! I love being with Sister Hansen as well! 

Last night we were biking around in the hail which was left on the road like snow and we were talking about why we had come on missions. Both of us have struggled in similar ways. And Sister Hansen is still struggling with if she is suppose to be here. Well I told her what President told me once. That in the pre-mortal life we agreed to do things and often those agreements are things we can't remember but that are our inner deep desires that drive us to do things here. I am so positive that we were excited to be companions before we came here. We both said we would serve in the Washington Vancouver Mission and so that drove us to come on a mission even though we've faced opposition and it's been hard and maybe not the exact thing we want to do all the time. I definitely believe in the fact that we lived with God before we came here. It makes so much more sense of why everything is the way it is right now.

I am so grateful to be here on a mission! I LOVE this mission! Although I haven't always thought this... There is no place in the world I would rather serve a mission that the Washington Vancouver Mission! And so now I am going to include a scripture I read this morning that has been likened unto my own life. "And now it came to pass that all this was done in [Washington], yea by the waters of [the Columbia River], in the forest that was near the waters of [the Columbia River]; yea, the place of [Washington], the waters of [the Columbia River], the forest of [Washington], how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever."
Mosiah 18: 30
 This land has become so sacred and special to me. It is the most beautiful place because it is here that I am really coming to know my Redeemer. As Courtney has previously said this is become my holy land.

Well family things are going really well. We are excited for the coming week and the adventures that it will bring! I hope your week is likewise fantastic and that you get the chance to share the gospel because it's the best thing ever!

I love you SSOOOOOSOSSOOOSOSOSOOSOSoSsOSOSoooo much!

Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Beard

Super Cute tea party!










No comments:

Post a Comment