Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Week 68: I'm going fishing in....

Dearest Family,

I hope you have had a fantastic week! We have really had a good week here. If there's one repeated theme I've seen from this week it's that God answers prayers.

So this week we were on our way to help Chelsea (on Wednesday) weed her yard and pull out some trees and we ran into an older lady who was walking around her yard. We stopped and inquired as to what she was doing. She was looking at her yard and seeing hopelessly how much work she had to do. We offered help and she said she couldn't pay us but we said we don't accept money anyway. So we returned Thursday and then Friday to help her weed part of her yard which was quite a project. After each several hour session we would share a little message with her. She is so sweet and we love her already! Her name is Maxine. She's way into family history too which is way fun to talk about. 

Well anyway then on Saturday we helped Brother Bingham take out a truck full of rocks out of his garden bed. A set of Elders from our district came and helped us as well. 

So let's just say every day as each day passed we were a little overwhelmed by how much yard work we were doing and were getting kind of tired. But the moment that really pulled it all together was actually on Friday night when we had pulled weeds for Maxine and were preparing for Brother Bingham's the next day. It was 8:50 and we were knocking on one last house before heading home (curfew at 9) and this lady answers and we introduce ourselves and she starts laughing and steps out and says "You're going to laugh at this." Then she told us that a couple years ago 2 Elders came by and offered her help with her yard and she turned them away and ever since then she's regretted it. Then last week she prayed that 'the mormons' would come by. "And then you come knocking!.... and you're girls..." she wasn't so thrilled at that but we told her we're pretty buff and can pull some weeds. 

Anyway so here we are pretty tired and God sends us to someone else who needs help with their yard. You can bet I'm thinking "okay... but can't we teach somebody?" Then I remembered that I had been praying really hard that we would be able to do some kind of service this week to keep Sister Hansen's mind off of transfers (which she is super nervous for). Well when I remembered that all this fell into place and I realized that God hadn't just sent us a little answer to my prayers but quite a big one! In fact one that occupied everyday this week. God answers prayers. Plus he also answered the prayers of those who needed help. 

I've heard a lot of stories this week and experienced several miracles of my own on this wise. And I've come to see that God answers prayers. Which I think is something we easily forget but he is constantly reminding us. "9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. (Luke 11)"

One of the sweetest things that happened this week was we called Jimmy and he told us that he was going to a baptism later that day (Saturday) "and then next week is mine!" tears did come to mind. He is getting baptized on Saturday! He is so excited! I can't even tell you! Oh it is just so tender. I'm sure if I could see him today compared to the man we met several months ago- he is a different person. He knows more of who he is and his potential. He isn't burdened down by the world. He has a place. He knows he is a son of God. He is happy. Jimmy is one of my greatest blessings. I am so grateful for him. I am so privileged to be a part of his conversion. If I may quote from something that was written to me "The word 'convert' means, 'to change from one use to another, or a function, purpose, and meaning.' Conversion, relating to gospel terms, is an ongoing process that begins when we first accept Christ and continues for the rest of our life." Jimmy has changed and I know he will continue to as he continues to learn about the gospel. We are so excited for him! 

Well now to move on to my opening phrase..... I am going fishing in.... Salmon Creek! 

Okay so 'fishing' is in the biblical teaching sense and Salmon Creek is a city (pretty much just an outskirt of Vancouver). Anyway my new companion will be Sister Morrill who I've served around quite a bit and actually was in St. Helens when I was. I'm going to be a Sister Training Leader so lot's of exchanges and meetings, it will be exciting! I think my saddest thing is... no bikes:( It's a ginormous area and in the country for parts so definitely no bikes:( But it should be fun. Sister Hansen is staying in Nehalem and is getting Sister De Leon who is super outgoing and will probably be a lot of fun. So exciting things with this upcoming transfer! We're losing a significant number of missionaries so Vancouver North Zone and Vancouver Central Zone are combining which doesn't affect me anymore but does Sister Hansen. And also we suspect almost all areas will get cars but we will see at the transfer meeting. Should be exciting! 

Oh and I must say last p-day was quite a party! We went with the Privetts and Sister Ball up along the old highway in the Gorge. It was GORGEOUS and HILARIOUS! I sure love the Privetts and Sister Ball! Oh and Rudi too (he's the Boxer-dog). 

I'm definitely going to miss the Privetts. I have LOVED living there. They not only let us live in their home but they let us be part of their family. They are amazing and so funny too! We laugh a lot! Especially when we are upstairs and can't tell if the whines and high pitch noises are coming from Sister Privett or Rudi but we all know they are coming from Brother Privett:) 

Mother's day was really great. We went around with Sister Ball and delivered notes to some sisters in the ward and people we are teaching. Sister Ball is another one of our 'mission grandmas' so it was fitting to spend Mother's day with her. 

Anyway I hope you are having a fantastic trip Mom and Dad! And I hope everyone is having a good week! It's going to be kind of a sad week saying good-bye but I guess I would have had to anyway at some point right? And it will be full of adventures that I will tell you of later. I love you all so much! Be safe and happy! And know how much I love you!

Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Beard

The p-day we went running a couple weeks ago.



Us and the Privetts. This is Brother Privett being Brother Privett:)

My favorite people ever! Kim and Phout who make us the best Vietnamese
food ever! Including purple rice.










No comments:

Post a Comment