Write Me!!!!


Sister Kaitlyn Beard "Now therefore stand
Washington Vancouver Mission and see this great thing,
2223 Northwest 99th St which the Lord will do
Vancouver WA 98665 before your eyes."
1 Samuel 12:16

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Week 76: Happy 4th of July!!!!

Dearest Family,

Happy 4th! And Happy July! I sure love the summer! It's super hot but I'd take it over winter for sure! And I sure love the long day light! I love going in at 9 and it still being light and getting up and it being light. It's de best!

We've had a pretty awesome week here! Okay I'll just start off with how awesome the 4th of July was because it was honestly the awesomest holiday EVERY! So we started the day off right with a ward breakfast yum yum yum! Then us and the Hazeldell sisters (Girot and Huge) went to Fort Vancouver and volunteered at a gate for a couple hours. Here goes a history tangent! I learned some things... first off this 4th of July celebration use to be the biggest west of the Mississippi but they downsized... they use to shoot off fireworks off a barge in the Columbia and you could even see it in Portland. But that's over with anyway:) One of the guys we were volunteering with was giving us some Vancouver history 101. So this was part of the Lewis and Clark trail and then when they were settling it they had military in the Ft. and the guy in charge (I know his name but I can't seem to spell it sorry!) thought the line between the U.S. and Britain would be the Columbia so when American settlers came he sent them across the river to settle (Portland). Obviously the boundaries changed but that's why Portland is bigger and more well known than Vancouver. And this part he didn't know for sure but we've heard before. Apparently when they were naming Portland a guy from Portland Maine and a guy from Boston Massachusetts flipped a coin on whether to call it Portland or Boston. And we all know the end of the toss. I thought that was pretty funny! 

Anyway after a couple more service activities with different members in the ward we ended up going to President and Sister Taylor's house for a BBQ! I sure love this zone! They invited the whole zone over and it was sure the best thing ever! I've always wanted to be in this zone for a holiday! We had some delicious food including 7 of President's famous pies! Then we got to throw around a football and some other things (which I've discovered I can catch a football pretty decent and throw okay. Who would've known? Dad I guess all your attempted teaching is flooding back to me now:) Then President had bought a bunch of fireworks and got a steal of a deal! And we had a pretty fantastic show and were joined by a bunch of the Felida ward so it was a true party! The best part of the show was when Bishop showed us all his skill of swinging around burning steel wool on the end of a wire. I'll try and get my hands on a video because it was pretty sweet! That was the highlight! Well.... um... that was the best 4th of July party ever! I feel really blessed to be here at this particular time! 

The rest of the week has been pretty good! We went on exchanges with Hazeldell this week. I went to Hazeldell with Sister Girot. It's kind of funny to me but it seems like on exchanges things cancel even more than usual and it can be really stressful if you are in your area and you think the Sister Training Leader wants to see how busy you are or whatever. But I honestly think it's what the Lord wants so that we can have some adequate time to just see how the sister is doing and be able to train and help them according to their needs. The most stressful exchange I've been on as a Sister Training Leader was when we had like a thousand things going on and not a second to think and I honestly didn't feel like I could even gauge how the sister was doing. It's a blessing to see how the Lord and the spirit works. We really have to slow down sometimes to be able to feel the spirit yet we also have to be on the move.

We had an awesome Mission Leadership Council where we really studied the talk Which Way Do You Face. And also we talked about leadership skills. I use to think MLC  would be an uplifting awesome event before I ever got to go. It's definitely both but it's also a major call to repentance! So there's always plenty to work on which is good.

We've got an awesome zone this transfer and we're in an awesome district which I love! Pretty much things are going really great. And then we bought two balls today so we finally get to play scatterball again yay! 

The ward is awesome still and we are still just trying to figure out who really wants to be taught so I will keep you updated as we figure that out.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I'm really suppose to be here for this exact time. I was thinking of Alma who wishes he was an angel and then says he ought to be content with what has been allotted to him. And then of Nephi in 3rd Nephi who wishes he could have been born in the days of his fathers but then he was born in such a privileged time right before the Savior visited. I was thinking or trying to imagine all of these characters at a different time period of history and how the Lord really has an exact plan for each of us. He really wants each of us here at the exact time period we are born just like he wants me to be serving here for the exact time period I am here. I'm still trying to understand and comprehend but I know that the Lord really does have a play for us.

I love in Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Life is all about learning to trust the Lord and trust in his ways. 

I'm so grateful for the stability that comes from knowing the Lord and trusting in his commandments and following them. What's the appeal of the worlds changing values and confusions anyway? Aren't we all seeking for peace and joy? Well I love how we know that both and peace and joy come from a correct understanding of the Lord Jesus Christ. If anyones looking for a good talk to read you can read Therefore They Hushed Their Fears from last conference by Elder Bednar.

I love you all so much!

Love,
Sister Kaitlyn Beard

Presidents delicious pie!

Exchanges with Sister Girot!











No comments:

Post a Comment